top of page


All commercial trucks must be covered with liability insurance. Liability insurance covers injuries and property damage caused to others in an accident that you or your drivers cause. Liability minimums are mandated by law in each state, but truckers who frequently cross state lines will need to meet federally mandated minimums as well.

Whether you own a tractor-trailer, a semi-truck, or a fleet of commercial trucks, as an independent operator you are required by federal law to carry a minimum of $750,000 in liability insurance. 

The liability minimums for big truck insurance are dependent on the weight class of your truck and the types of materials that are being hauled. For example, a Class A semi-truck weighing 10,000 pounds and hauling hazardous materials will require a minimum of coverage requirement of $1 million while a truck weighing under 10,000 pounds and carrying general commodities will need minimum liability coverage of $300,000. Trucks carrying explosives require a minimum of $5 million in liability coverage, regardless of weight.

In addition to the primary liability coverage required by law, you can choose from the following truckers insurance policy options when building your policy:

  • Physical damage insurance: This insurance is usually required by the lenders when you finance the purchase of your rig. It typically lasts for the duration of your loan and provides coverage if your truck is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. Comprehensive insurance will also include coverage for damage and loss caused by natural disasters, fire, theft and vandalism.

  • Medical payments insurance: This insurance provides coverage for any medical costs that you or other drivers/passengers may incur from an accident in your rig. Insurance companies will often require you to provide them with a list of all drivers who will be operating the vehicle and may base rates on the driving records of those listed.

  • Equipment coverage: This insurance can be purchased as an addition to your physical damage policy. It provides coverage for loss or damage to driver-owned property kept in the truck, as well as equipment such as chains, tarps and added electronic and navigational devices. Some policies will even provide compensation for losses caused by fuel spills.

  • Motor truck cargo insurance: This insurance covers the cargo you are hauling if it is lost or damaged while you are transporting it. The federal government requires you to have a minimum of $5,000 in coverage for your cargo, but you will likely be required by the shipper to carry more insurance.

  • Bobtail insurance: This insurance provides coverage for your commercial tractor when there is no trailer is in tow. This coverage is effective whether the vehicle is being driven for commercial or personal use. Though similar, bobtail insurance is different from non-trucking liability insurance.

  • Non trucking liability insurance: This type of trucker insurance is designed specifically for independent owner-operators. When you are leasing out your services to another company, they generally provide your liability coverage; however this coverage is only valid when your truck is being driven for business purposes. Non trucking liability insurance covers you while you are not working on the job, such as while you are driving to and from the job site or if you use your vehicle for personal reasons.

  • Occupational accident insurance: This coverage acts as a supplement to workers compensation. It provides your drivers and their families with added protection if a driver is hurt while on the job. It provides benefits for accidental death and dismemberment, medical expenses for accident-related injuries, and both temporary and long-term disability coverage. You also have the option to purchase additional coverage that will include compensation for non-work related accidents.

  • Non-owned trailer coverage: This insurance provides compensation for damages to a third-party-owned trailer that you have hitched to your rig. This coverage is for the structure of the trailer only and does not include the contents. Additionally, it will only cover damages that are incurred while the trailer is hitched to your truck.

bottom of page