top of page


Dump truck coverage falls under the general category of commercial vehicle insurance. Like any commercial vehicle, owners of dump trucks are required to have liability insurance coverage before these trucks can be legally driven or used for jobs.

This coverage is particularly necessary as mishaps in these heavy-duty vehicles can lead to extensive damages. Because dump trucks are intended mainly for off-road use, their design is often such that a collision with a car can have deadly results. In fact, the Bureau of Labor and Statistics reports an average of one dump-truck related fatality every week in the United States.

What Does Dump Truck Insurance Cover?

A basic commercial dump truck insurance policy will provide the mandatory coverage required to operate these commercial vehicles. This includes the minimum bodily injury and property damage liability coverage amounts required by state law.

To ensure that your finances are secure and that your business is properly covered, you may want to consider building a basic commercial vehicle policy. Most commercial truck insurance companies provide the following additional coverage options that you can include in your dump truck policy:

  • Non-trucking insurance: This coverage is designed for independent owner/operators with contract jobs. It provides liability insurance if you should be involved in an accident in your truck during off-work hours.

  • Motor truck general liability insurance: This coverage will protect you from liability for damage you cause to your customer’s property while operating your vehicle on their grounds.

  • Physical damage insurance: This additional coverage provides compensation for any damage to your dump truck, and is usually required by dealerships if you are leasing your vehicle.

  • Motor truck cargo insurance: If the cargo you will be hauling on your truck is valuable, you may be required to carry motor truck cargo insurance.

  • Collision insurance: This will cover the repair of damage to your dump truck if you collide with another vehicle or object.

  • Fire and theft insurance: This comprehensive insurance will provide compensation for damages to your vehicle from fire or theft.

  • Environmental insurance: This insurance will cover certain pollution-related losses and fines and the costs for restoration and clean-up, if necessary.

  • Rental reimbursement / downtime insurance: If your truck is damaged in an accident, this coverage will allow you to continue your business operations while your truck is being repaired or will cover business losses if continuation is not possible.

  • Off-season comprehensive only insurance: If your business is seasonal, this will save you money while protecting your vehicle while it is not in use.​

bottom of page